Donors pledge $250m to fight Boko Haram

Donors at the African Union summit pledged on Monday $250m for the fight against Boko Haram insurgents, AU Peace and Security Council chief Smail Chergui said.

Boko Haram, facing the heat of a military onslaught in Nigeria, has in the past year stepped up cross-border attacks in Niger, Chad and Cameroon, while continuing shooting and suicide assaults on markets, mosques and other mostly civilian targets within Nigeria itself.

Despite offensives by the regional force with troops from Benin, Cameroon, Chad, Niger and Nigeria, the Islamist jihadists maintain strongholds in areas that are difficult to access.

On Saturday night, the terrorist group attacked Dalori, a village four kilometres outside Maiduguri, the Borno State capital, allegedly killing 86 people including children.

But Chergui praised the success of the force at the close of an AU summit on Sunday, saying territory had been wrested back.

“Great results have been achieved and we must consolidate these gains,” he said.

Chergui said $110m came from Nigeria, with the European Union offering €50m, as well as donations from Britain and Switzerland.

Chad’s President Idriss Deby, the African Union chairman, said it was crucial the money pledged was actually paid to show “our firm commitment in the fight against terrorism.”

Nigerian Foreign Minister Geoffrey Onyeama said gains had been made but much more needed to be done.

“Boko Haram is no longer able to operate freely as in the past or control territories as they did,” he said.

“We are making tremendous progress in this battle, but we still need to remain vigilant, we need to share information and cooperate.”

No comments:

Post a Comment